Updated On: 03 September, 2025 01:14 PM IST | Mumbai | Sanjeev Shivadekar
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis maintained that the issue had been resolved constitutionally and would stand in a court of law. Responding to warnings issued by OBC leaders, he said, “We have not touched the OBC reservation quota. So, I do not see any reason for OBC leaders to continue their chain hunger strike”

The spot that was crowded on Monday (far left) was cleared on Tuesday within hours of the court ordering protesters to vacate the area and the government issuing a GR on the Maratha quota issue. PICS/SHADAB KHAN
On Tuesday, the Maharashtra government accepted most of the demands of Maratha quota activists, but its real test will be in court, where it must justify the move and pacify the upset Other Backward Classes (OBC) community. OBC leaders have long pointed to past court observations and rulings that went against extending reservations to any community in this manner.
Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis maintained that the issue had been resolved constitutionally and would stand in a court of law. Responding to warnings issued by OBC leaders, he said, “We have not touched the OBC reservation quota. So, I do not see any reason for OBC leaders to continue their chain hunger strike.” On Monday, senior NCP (Ajit Pawar faction) leader Chhagan Bhujbal argued that the Hyderabad Gazette cannot be the sole basis to issue caste certificates to the Maratha community, warning that he would challenge any such decision.

Maratha quota activist Manoj Jarange Patil addresses supporters as he ends his hunger strike after the Maharashtra government accepted most of his demands. Pic/Sayyed Sameer Abedi