Updated On: 29 June, 2025 08:19 PM IST | Mumbai | mid-day online correspondent
Amid mounting criticism over the proposed introduction of Hindi from Classes 1 to 5, the Devendra Fadnavis-led cabinet decided to withdraw two GRs related to the implementation of the three-language format under the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 on the eve of the legislature’s Monsoon Session

Shiv Sena (UBT) leaders Uddhav Thackeray, Aaditya Thackeray and Sanjay Raut burn the GR on Hindi in schools earlier on Sunday. PIC/ASHISH RAJE
Shiv Sena (Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray) leader Sanjay Raut on Sunday said the joint protest march planned on July 5 by his party and the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) now stands cancelled following the state government’s withdrawal of the Government Resolutions (GR) on Hindi and the three-language policy in state schools, news agency PTI reported.
Amid mounting criticism over the proposed introduction of Hindi from Classes 1 to 5, the Devendra Fadnavis-led cabinet decided to withdraw two GRs related to the implementation of the three-language format under the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 on the eve of the legislature’s Monsoon Session.
“The government withdrew the GR that made Hindi mandatory. This is a victory of Marathi unity and fear of Thackerays coming together. The 5 July morcha will not take place now. This is brand Thackeray,” Raut said.