Updated On: 03 December, 2025 08:35 AM IST | Hong Kong | AP
A survivor of the fire welcomed the creation of the independent committee

Representational Image
Hong Kong will set up an independent committee headed by a judge to determine the cause of a deadly high-rise fire that shocked the city and to recommend changes to prevent a future tragedy, its leader has said. John Lee, the chief executive of the southern Chinese territory, on Tuesday pledged to overcome vested interests and bring about systemic change in the construction industry. Police said Tuesday afternoon that more bodies had been found, raising the death toll to at least 156 with about 30 people still missing a week after the fire.
'We must uncover the truth, ensure that justice is served, let the deceased rest in peace and provide comfort to the living,' Lee told reporters at a weekly press conference. 'We want to ensure that we will prevent such a tragedy from happening again.' The fire started last Wednesday around scaffolding on a building at the Wang Fuk Court complex and spread to seven of its eight towers. They were home to more than 4,600 people and many have been left homeless. Forty injured people remain hospitalized, Lee said.